Click here to skip to main content.
 
Ref NoD 88
TitleRecords of W.A. Steevens and Son, builders of High Wycombe
DescriptionIn Musson and Craven's Directory for Buckinghamshire, 1853, Joseph Stevens (sic) is listed as a carpenter and builder at Oxford Road, High Wycombe. A later advertisement (in Kellys Directory, 1931) states that the firm had been established in 1800. The various directories for the period up to 1899 give four different addresses, the last address, 21 Crendon Street, remained the business address until 1939.
By 1907 the firm had become Joseph Steevens and Son, becoming W.A. Steevens by 1924. The fourth generation member to join the family firm was G.E. Steevens between 1931 and 1935. During the 1930s the firm diversified into new areas, including plumbing and sanitary engineering. In Kellys Directory for 1935 Steevens is also described as a 'Motor Hearse Proprietor'. The firm had a telephone number by 1931, giving a twenty four hour service linked to W.A. Steevens private address, 53 Amersham Hill, High Wycombe.
Access_StatusOpen
Date1871-1932
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020